Re: A very pedantic request

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 09:24:14 +0000
To: John Payne <payne747@yahoo.com>
Cc: www-validator-css@w3.org

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 10:29:29PM -0000, John Payne wrote:
>    I use the CSS validator a lot, and always use the XHTML validator
>    afterwards. However when adding the `css validated' link to my code, it
>    breaks the XHTML.

As has been mentioned many times previously on this mailing list:

* What is right for XHTML is wrong for HTML

* If you ask the CSS validator to validate the styles attached to an
  HTML document you will get HTML to display the icon.

* If you ask the CSS validator to validate the styles attached to an
  XHTML document you will get XHTML to display the icon.

* If you ask the CSS validator to validate a stylesheet directly you
  will get HTML to display the icon, which is a sensible default.

While it might make things easier for you if XHTML was the default, it
would be harder for other people.