Re: Multiple Validator Issues

From: Olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 16:39:32 +0900
To: Dan Carlson <dcarlson@tree-tech.com>
Cc: W3C CSS Validator List <www-validator-css@w3.org>

Hi Dan,

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005, Dan Carlson wrote:
> First, I am quite puzzled as to why the official W3C validator does not
> support the CSS 2.1 standard.

This is indeed a far from ideal situation... Ideally we'd have enough
resources (staff and volunteers) to have created a 2.1 profile for the
CSS validator long ago, and maintain it through the REC status of the
specification. We will actually have a working profile for 2.1 around
the time it gets to REC.

> However, the CSS validator returns the following error: "Invalid number
> : list-style-type inherit is not a list-style-type value  : inherit ".
> It also provides a link to the CSS 2(.0) specification for the
> list-style-type property... but the CSS 2 spec specifically allows the
> "inherit" value!
>
> Is this indeed a bug?

Looks very much like one, yes.
Would you mind entering it into the database?
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/enter_bug.cgi?product=CSSValidator

Thank you