Re: CSS validation error query

Hi Bjoern,

Thanks for your quick reply.

on the 18/09/04 22:34, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * J. Grant wrote:
>>       Invalid number : marginonly 0 can be a length. You must put an
>>unit after your number : 6
>
>>The "margin" does not have a space after it.  Also I do not understand
>>the error.  Does it mean '6' in this instance is not a valid margin?
>>And that only 0 is a valid margin?  that does not seem to make sense though.
>
> A margin of 6 milimeters is probably a bit different from a margin of 6
> centimeters, a browser cannot know whether you mean 6mm or 6cm so the
> Validator asks you to add a unit to the 6 to clear things up. You can
> use
>
>   margin: 6px;
>   margin: 6pt;
>   margin: 6cm;
>
> but not
>
>   margin: 6;

Thanks for your explanation.  I understand now.

I wonder if the text can be changed to make this point clearer for
future releases please?

Perhaps something like this:

==================
Invalid number : margin, only 0 can be an empty length. You must put a
unit of measurement after your number, which is presently "6".  Valid
units are: px (pixel), pt (point font size) and cm (centi-metre).  For
instance:
margin: 5px

What do you think?

Kind regards