Re: HTTP header. Invalidity of setting charset in html.

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:02:13 +0930 (CST), Michael Talbot-Wilson
<mtw@view.net.au> wrote:

> And, incidentally, I've been unable to discover in the source, the
> config file or the docs how to set the charset in the header.  I have
>
>      AddCharset utf-8 .en .html
>
> for the virtual host and see no complaint in the log file.  (Using
> Apache 1.3.14.)

You can either set the HTTP-header using server-sided scripting like php:

     <?php
       header ("Content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8");
     ?>

or in the Apache server configuration as a directive included either in
virtual hosts, directory or .htaccess using:

     AddDefaultCharset utf-8

   or

     AddDefaultCharset Off

(when no default charset is specified the server uses its own default
charset iso-8859-1)

Cheers,

jens

--