Validation error using CSS3 substring matching selectors

From: Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 21:42:58 +0100 (MET)
To: www-validator-css@w3.org

Dear validator list,

the CSS validator throws an error ("Combinator x between selectors is not
allowed in this profile or version") when I try to validate a style sheet
which includes CSS3 substring matching attribute selectors [1].

The error occurred using a "regular" style sheet (CSS 3 profile selected in
the advanced upload menu -- I didn't check if this might work using the URI
input form), but is of course reproducible using e.g. the snippets

  foo[bar^='baz']:after { content: 'scrible'; }
  foo[bar$='baz']:after { content: 'scrible'; }
  foo[bar*='baz']:after { content: 'scrible'; }

I don't know if this has already been reported or if this is even intended
(since the CSS3 selectors part is no recommendation yet), but I nonetheless
hope it gets fixed anyway ;)

HTH, best regards,

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-selectors/#attribute-substrings

Jens Meiert