(unknown charset) Re: -vnd properties etc

From: (unknown charset) Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:55:35 +0000 (UTC)
To: (unknown charset) Rimas Kudelis <rq@akl.lt>
Cc: (unknown charset) www-validator-css@w3.org

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Rimas Kudelis wrote:

> I've found a FAQ which states that such identifyers make my stylesheet
> invalid, but i don't quite agree with that. The thing is that CSS2.1
> describes vendor-specific extensions which begin with a dash or an
> underscore ( http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/CR-CSS21-20040225/syndata.html#q4
> ). IMHO, that means that using such properties does NOT make a
> stylesheet invalid.

Vendor extensions are invalid CSS2.1. You should only use vendor
extensions for experimentations; they are not intended for use in public
situations. Using vendor extensions makes it impossible for your
stylesheet to interoperate between vendor implementations.

The spec gives rules for creating vendor extensions so that vendors who
wish to experiment with new properties and values can do so without
risking clashing with future specifications. We have had serious problems
with that before.