Re: CSS Validator

Hello EE,

On Aug 3, 2004, at 5:46 AM, EE wrote:
> I am really lost. I have no idea what is cvs and how get files from
> there. What program I need to use to download the validator? Can I use
> an FTP client? Plz help.

I sincerely hope you do not take this as being rude, but I would like
to ask why you want to install the validator instead of using it
online. I know there are very justifiable reasons, but as I wrote
previously:
>> Please note this is known to not be absolutely trivial.

In other words, installing the CSS validator is *hard*, and if you
start asking panicked questions about CVS, I can guarantee it is going
to take a lot of questions and answers... This is not your fault, in
any case, we know that this difficulty is a problem and solving it is
planned.

Anyway... To download the CSS validator yo can not use an FTP client,
sorry, you will have to use a CVS client and follow some instructions
to use it.

The basic CVS client is the commandline tool "cvs". It can be installed
easily for most unix/linux flavors, on OSX it's in the developer tools.
For windows, you have a few GUI versions such as tortoiseCVS or winCVS.

Once you have CVS working you can download the source.
Then you will need a working Java environment.
Then you will need something to buid/serve the software. Jigsaw or
Apache+ant should do the job fine.

Good luck.

--
olivier