Re: CSS validator homepage - "submission"

On Monday, Sep 1, 2003, at 14:02 America/Montreal, Bert Bos wrote:
>> But the point of this new homepage is to improve the usability of the
>> service by allowing people to validate their CSS without having to
>> navigate too much.
>
> I don't know if that is really easier. Now the page has three forms
> instead of one and it has a scroll bar, because the whole page doesn't
> fit on one screen.

On the current homepage one also has to scroll to find links to the
appropriate page with the forms. At least with my browser. Given that
the current mockup has navigation links to the different forms at the
top, as well as links to the full interfaces in the navigation bar, I
consider it a serious improvement.

> But best usability is if people don't have to go to this page at all,
> but can validate by pressing a button in their editor or browser. A
> real "Web Service" in other words. Some programs already do that: they
> contact the validator without ever passing through the forms page.

As we say in french, "best is the enemy of good". We are talking about
improving the homepage, which definitely needs improving, and you're
saying that what would be best is a "Web Service". I agree with you,
but am afraid you seem to be missing the point: web services (By the
way, the Markup Validator has such an interface, you may want to
coordinate with us for the sake of consistency if you go this way),
bookmarklets, single bookmarkable web pages are a good thing, but
they're not replacing a good homepage, merely completing it...

--
olivier