From: "Yves Lafon" <ylafon@w3.org>
To: "Sijtsche Smeman" <sijtsche@wisdom.nl>
Cc: "Philippe Hegaret" <plh@w3.org>
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2003 5:09 PM
Subject: Re: any idea what causes the I/O error in the CSS validator?

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Sijtsche Smeman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Several people on the CSS validator mailinglist complain about this error
> "I/O Error: Invalid byte 2 of 3-byte UTF-8 sequence"
> It seems to be a problem with accented letters. I personally do not have
any
> idea why this error occurs now and it did not before according to the
people
> who sent mails. Do you have an idea what might cause this error? I think
> this is quite urgent.

It is related to the encoding of their document in the case of XHTML.
I fixed the case where the encoding is set on the mime type. The only
remaining is:

1/ Their file is in XHTML
2/ It DOES NOT have a XML declaration indicating the encoding
3/ It is encoded in something else than UTF-8

My advice is to ask then to properly set the encoding either in
the mime type server (using .htaccess and ForceType in their Apache
config), or add a XML declaration at the beginning of their document with
the relevant encoding, or properly encode in UTF-8.
Hope this explains :)

--
Yves Lafon - W3C