?: I/O Error: Invalid byte 2 of 3-byte UTF-8 sequence

From: CJ <hwoodcj@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:43:32 -0400
To: www-validator-css@w3.org

Question: Is this a fault in the CSS validator, which will
be fixed, or is my problem rightly due to not having as my
first line this:
I do *not* put this as my first line, because of a fault in
MSIE which requires <!DOCTYPE html ... > as the first line.

I get this error (new, since last revisions to the
validator code) when I have European accented characters,
like this:  :
> I/O Error: Invalid byte 2 of 3-byte UTF-8 sequence.
Previously, *some* accented characters would not validate,
but others would. And I never got this error even then.
I substituted &#000; characters for the ones which wouldn't
validate, bothersome for reading the source text, but at
least it validated. Now they don't and I get this new message.
   Here's my menu page with an accented character  which
validates if I replace it with a plain e :
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jksonc/