Re: CSS Validator doesn't like "_" characters in the ID of a style definition

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 17:41:43 +0200
To: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Cc: www-validator-css@w3.org
* Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
>On Mon, 2002-05-20 at 14:32, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>> * Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
>> >Therefore, '_' is not valid as an identifier for CSS2.
>>
>> This has changed, please refer to the CSS Level 2 errata,
>> http://www.w3.org/Style/css2-updates/REC-CSS2-19980512-errata.html
>
>oops, thx for the catch Bjoern.
>
>Fixed in [1]. Should be taken into account on the server before the end
>of the week.

>[1]
>http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/css-validator/org/w3c/css/parser/analyzer/

Due to lack of an internet connection, I cannot access the current
sources at the moment. I think it would be a good idea to issue a strong
warning, if the validator encounters the underscore in identifiers,
since many browsers (including Opera, Mozilla and Internet Explorer)
implemented (at least in some mode) what CSS2 originally said, i.e. they
treat identifiers using underscores as invalid syntax and ignore them,
hence using them reduces the style sheets robustness.

regards.