Re: css Validations gives xml error

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: 25 Mar 2002 17:56:03 -0500
To: www-validator-css@w3.org
Cc: Isabel Hidalgo de Quintana <suahili@arrakis.es>
> I've been trying to validate the following document's css:
> http://www.tomatoma.ws/index.html
> It validates as an XHTML 1.0 Transitional and the css validates when
> on its own but when triying to validate the html document for css well
> formedness it gives the error stated below. In line 47 there's no
> element a whatsoever, I've looked everywhere and can't find the error:
> Target: http://www.tomatoma.ws/
> Please, validate your XML document first!
> Line 47
> Column 5
> The element type "a" must be terminated by the matching end-tag "".

I get:

Line 35
Column 75
An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0xfa) was found in the element
content of the document.

By default, XML assumes that your document is using the encoding UTF-8,
which means all characters with accents must encoded on more than one
byte. Given that you don't want to do that, I suggest to put an XML
declaration at the beginning of your file:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='ISO-8859-1'?>

(I guess ISO-8859-1 contains your characters)
or to escape them using entities. See

The entities defined in HTML 4.0 are also reused in XHTML so you should
be able to use them,