Re: problems with css validator

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: 25 Mar 2002 17:01:29 -0500
To: jitte jutte <jitte@VAMPIROANGELUS.zzn.com>
Cc: www-validator-css@w3.org
On Mon, 2002-03-18 at 09:45, jitte jutte wrote:
> I am getting an error as follows when trying to validate my css file
> at my page at
> http://members.socket.net/~automated/main.css
>
> I/O Error: Unknown mime type : text/plain
>
> I assume it's the tilde in the URL, but the XHTML validator allows
> it.

No, as the CSS Validator says, it is due to an invalid mime type.
Mime types are send by your HTTP server to the clients (in this case,
the CSS validator) in order to indicate the type of the file. For CSS
files, the type must be text/css. In your case, the socket.net server
returns a wrong mime type text/plain.

> It validates when uploaded from my computer and is the same css
> file I use at my Geocities mirror at
> http://www.geocities.com/mindfiles/main.css

Yes, geocities returns the appropriate mime type text/css.

> The Geocities server inserts a line of code at the bottom of the page
> that prevents me from validating my XHTML from the web. :(
>
> I'm trying to strike a happy medium here, any suggestions?

Is there any possibility for you to ask your provider to update the
server and make sure the CSS files are sent using the mime type
text/css?

Philippe