Validation of W3C Core Style Sheets

From: John H. Lienhard <lienhard@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 08:13:04 -0500 (EST)
To: www-validator-css@w3.org, bert@w3c.org

 HI ---

 I happened to run one of the W3C Core Style Sheets through
 the validator:

  href="http://www.w3.org/StyleSheets/Core/Oldstyle"

 It produced two errors and many warnings!  Are the Core
 Style Sheets actually valid css?  A transcript is attached.

 I am calling this from a page that validates as HTML 4.01,
 but I get the same errors when I run a W3C sample page
 through the validator:

http://www.w3.org/StyleSheets/Core/stylebot.html?family=1&doc=Specification

 Thanks for your help,

        John Lienhard

URI : http://www.w3.org/StyleSheets/Core/Oldstyle
       Line: 139 Context : H6
Invalid number : text-transformsmall-caps is not a text-transform value : small-caps
       Line: 236 Context : INS
Invalid number : backgroundUnknown dimension : 9F3
Warnings
URI : http://www.w3.org/StyleSheets/Core/Oldstyle
       Line : 231 Level : 1 You have no color with your background-color : DEL
       Line : 259 Level : 1 You have no background-color with your color : HR
       Line : 333 P can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 445 H4 can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 445 OL can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 445 H3 can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 445 P can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 445 H6 can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 445 UL can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 445 DIR can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 445 H2 can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 445 HR can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 445 DL can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 445 MENU can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 445 ADDRESS can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 445 H1 can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 445 PRE can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 445 H5 can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 587 P can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 733 UL can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 733 MENU can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 733 PRE can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 733 DL can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 733 H1 can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 733 P can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 733 H2 can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 733 DIR can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 733 H3 can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 733 ADDRESS can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 733 H4 can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 733 HR can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 733 H6 can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 733 H5 can't be inside an inline element
       Line : 733 OL can't be inside an inline element

   John H. Lienhard V
   Professor of Mechanical Engineering

   Room 3-162
   MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY