Re: CSS validator reports error in XML

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 03:34:11 +0100
To: Jernej Simon?i? <jernej.simoncic@guest.arnes.si>
Cc: www-validator-css@w3.org, www-validator@w3.org, duerst@w3.org
* Jernej Simoncic wrote:
>When I one of my pages (http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/translator.html)
>through CSS validator, it reports error in XML, and that I should
>validate XML first. However, W3C HTML validation service reports no
>errors on that page
>(http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww2.arnes.si%2F%7Esopjsimo%2Ftranslator.html&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=%28detect+automatically%29)
>
>I don't see any error at the reported position either. What's wrong?

Error message is

  Target: http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/translator.html
  Please, validate your XML document first!

  Line 281

  Column 5

  The element type "td" must be terminated by the matching end-tag "".

The reason is your "Herczeg József Tamás". Since you do not use an XML
declaration with a proper encoding declaration, the validator fails to
decode this part of the document, it assumes UTF-8 encoding but your
document is ISO-8859-2 encoded (that's what you meta element says). You
have to add a proper XML declaration like

  <?xml version='1.0' encoding='ISO-8859-2'?>

at the very beginning of your XHTML document. Seems like the HTML
validator gets something wrong here, it should also warn about this
issue. Someone should take a look at it, Martin?

regards,