DTD errors

From: Michael LoRusso <michael@pepino.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 14:40:59 -0800
To: www-validator-css@w3.org
The CSS Validator appears to be incorrectly strict.

On either page below, they will pass the HTML Validator. It is the CSS
Validator that is causing problems.

I made a quick test you can run that will bring up the error. I uploaded
two files for you.

One, at http://www.pepino.com/pepinotest.html has XHTML Transitional the
way it worked last year.
         "http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-
xhtml1-20000126/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
Try and run it through the CSS validator at
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator-uri.html

You can use this URL for a shortcut to the test:
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-
validator/validator?uri=http://www.pepino.com/pepinotest.html

The other, at http://www.pepino.com/pepinotest2.html has XHTML with the
URL at the end of the DTD spec changed to
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"
It will pass the CSS validator.

Here is a shortcut for this test:
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-
validator/validator?uri=http://www.pepino.com/pepinotest2.html

Why is the Validator giving an error to pages that had been using the
original XHTML spec?

Thanks