Re: CSS level 1 invalidator

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 23:46:32 -0500
To: Tim Christian <Tim@TimChristian.com>
Cc: www-validator-css@w3.org
Tim Christian wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I ran one of my cascading style sheets (level 1) through the validator
> some years ago, but now a recent run-through causes many errors.  I'm
> wondering if there isn't something wrong with the validator (I bet you
> get this query a lot ;).  After reviewing it with a couple of in-house
> folks, the validator balks at something as simple as:
>         BODY {
>           color: black;
>           background-color: white;
>         }

I tried with "no special profile", "css1", "css2" and "mobile" and it
worked. I suspect you're trying to validate this rule with a restricted
medium, such as "aural". If the medium is "aural", the property color
and the property background-color can't be applied. A better error message
would have been "Property color doesn't exist for the medium aural".

> The error returned is:
>         URI : file://localhost/TextArea
>              Line: 2 Context : BODY
>                   Property   color doesn't exist : black
>              Line: 3 Context : BODY
>                   Property   background-color doesn't exist : white

> [ ... ]
> There are numerous other examples.  Just processing a simple level 1
> style sheet yields a lot of false positives.  For example:
> http://www.cascss.unt.edu/procedures.css

I tried this CSS file on the CSS validator and didn't get any error.

> Am I missing something obvious here?

I guess the medium parameter in the form.

Philippe