CSS warnings

From: Just Me <risc_abacus@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 04:59:10 -0400
To: www-validator-css@w3.org
I was trying to validate my CSS file and kept getting warnings for
background-color so I decided to try some CSS files on W3C even
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/style/error.css  and
http://www.w3.org/StyleSheets/home both W3C CSS files had
background-color warnings however the only time the file registered as
valid CSS files was when I just tested them from the serve uri and not
uploading a copy that I just downloaded from the servers.

1.) Why are only valid CSS files found on servers?
my second question I will have to research more on my own but here is
the question anyways:
2.) Why do the warnings 'background-color ' exist if a background-color
element exist or dosn't exist in these cases?