confusing response from CSS validator ("No error or warning found ... No style sheet found")

From: Joe Wells <jbw@izanami.cee.hw.ac.uk>
Date: 06 Aug 2001 15:45:10 +0100
To: www-validator-css@w3.org
I just loaded this URL:

  http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http://www.cee.hw.ac.uk/~jbw/

The response I got said:

  No error or warning found

  To work as intended, your CSS style sheet needs a correct document parse tree. This means you should use valid HTML.

  No style sheet found

However, this is confusing for several reasons.

1. "No error or warning found" seems to be inconsistent with the next
   2 lines, both of which seem to be error messages or warnings.

2. "This means you should use valid HTML." is confusing because the
   web page being checked validates as correct XHTML 1.0.

3. "No style sheet found" is confusing because my web browser has no
   trouble whatsoever finding the linked style sheet.

Can you explain what is happening here?  I will be grateful for any
help.

--
Joe Wells