[Fwd: Timed Text work]

From: Philipp Hoschka (ph@w3.org)
Date: Wed, Jan 23 2002

    Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 14:44:44 +0100
    From: Philipp Hoschka <ph@w3.org>
    To: www-tv@w3.org
    Subject: [Fwd: Timed Text work]

    I think this is of interest to the TV community. We'd be especially
    interested if you could send pointers to already existing efforts in
    that space to www-tt-tf@w3.org

    attached mail follows:

    From: Daniel Dardailler <danield@w3.org>
    To: www-smil@w3.org, www-html@w3.org, www-style@w3.org, www-svg@w3.org, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org, wai-xtech@w3.org, www-tt-tf@w3.org
    Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:40:20 +0100
    Subject: Timed Text work

    Hello all,
    (sorry in advance for the large distribution, but I really feel all the
    recipient fora are potentially interested)

    This message to let you know that the WAI technical activity, thru its
    CG, has created a task force to discuss the creation of a new WG to
    develop a XML based Timed Text format.

    TT for short - and for now - is basically a captioning format used to
    synchronize a text stream with some other timed media, like audio or
    video.
    e.g.

     <text begin="2s" end="4s">That's him, Dude.</text>
     <text begin="6s" end="8s">And a good day to you, sir.</text>
       (syntax not binding; missing a bunch of layout/rate controls)

    The name of the list is

      www-tt-tf@w3.org

     (initials stand for Public Timed Text Task Force mailing list
      and www-tt-tf-request@w3.org is up for auto subscribe)

    This list is *not* the TT working group list yet (since the WG is not
    formed yet), so it's not a place to discuss elements and attributes
    semantics and syntax and start drafting specs.

    It's a list to scope the work, existing formats, identify core
    participants (chair, staff contact, content provider, software
    developers, etc), plan the deliverables, refine the requirements (in
    particular in the area of reutilisation of existing W3C XML modules of
    XHTML, SMIL, SVG, etc), come up with a draft charter, identify the W3C
    domain and activity that could potentially host the WG (as we're more
    and more convinced it's not just an accessibility item), etc.

    If you want to know more about it, there's a draft requirement
    document at
      http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/Group/timetext.html
    and you can also look at the RealText or the SAMI specs.