RE: TV Back Channel

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Venkatesh D N [SMTP:venkatesh.nag@wipro.com]
	Sent:	Thursday, May 04, 2000 4:50 AM
	To:	www-tv@w3.org
	Subject:	TV Back Channel

	Hi,

	I would like to know if there are any specifications for
transmitting
	MPEG-2 stream over TCP/IP ??

YES, RTSP is designed to do this, you can find a copy at
http://www.normos.org/rfc/rfc2326.txt

	This would be required, for making a TV interface with the Internet.
For
	exmaple, if the user wants
	to download a program stored in some "Content Server" based on
DSM-CC,
	then this MPEG-2 stream
	has to be transported as payload in  TCP/IP packet.

There are a number of proprietary Video on Demand Solutions from companies
such as NCube and Oracle which do this.

	How this is achieved

Answering that question properly is way beyond the scope of this mailing
list.  I suggest that If this is other than an idol question, your
organisation needs to recruit an experts in these fields.

	?? Similarly if the user clicks
	on a URL that is broadcasted on TV during an advertisement

The Broadcaster would have to specially encode the URL into the video
stream, or the STB would require some very clever character recognition
software, at the moment this is not a realistic prospect, to do this
currently your talking a serious hacks.

	or as part of
	some program, then in order
	to access the WEB, there need to be mechanism to access the web.

This would need to be designed into an STB from the beginning.

	Are
	there any proposals for achieving
	these functionalities ???

Yes, but not here this group is only concerned with the broadcast model.

	What are the basic protocols apart fromTCP/IP that would be required
for doing
	this ????

	If any of you know answers to my questions please let me know.

	Best regards,
	venkatesh

Martin Spamer
Senior Software Engineer