Re: TV Back Channel

I don't think anyone has considered trying to carry an MPEG transport
stream over IP as you suggest here.

DSM-CC is transport-independent, so if that is your main concern, you
should simply send the UN messages via IP and not first on MPEG-TS.

The high level questions about how to accomplish integration of Web and TV
is a broad, complex question, currently answered differently depending on
what environment you are in.  For example, it is different on cable than on
DBS, etc, and also varies between countries.  You would need to refer to
the appropriate TV transport standards organizations depending on
where/what you are trying to solve this.

         Mike

At 09:20 AM 5/4/00 +0530, Venkatesh D N wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I would like to know if there are any specifications for transmitting
>MPEG-2 stream over TCP/IP ??
>This would be required, for making a TV interface with the Internet. For
>exmaple, if the user wants
>to download a program stored in some "Content Server" based on DSM-CC,
>then this MPEG-2 stream
>has to be transported as payload in  TCP/IP packet. How this is achieved
>?? Similarly if the user clicks
>on a URL that is broadcasted on TV during an advertisement or as part of
>some program, then in order
>to access the WEB, there need to be mechanism to access the web. Are
>there any proposals for achieving
>these functionalities ???  What are the basic protocols apart from
>TCP/IP that would be required for doing
>this ????
>
>If any of you know answers to my questions please let me know.
>
>Best regards,
>venkatesh

Michael A. Dolan, Representing DIRECTV,  (619)445-9070
PO Box 1673 Alpine, CA 91903        FAX: (619)445-6122