Program Identifiers [was Re: Where are we?]

Ahah.  Yes, these are opaque program identifiers and reused over time
(small namespace).  I'm not sure if they will make it into the
digital transports as tagged program meta-information or not
(certainly not as a standard, but perhaps by convention over time).
The studios are thinking UMID for this same basic purpose, but these
are unique over time and space.

Either way, however the world starts to unambiguously identify
programs, as Harold notes, we should have a scheme for handling them.
 It is not tv: as currently contemplated, though....

	Mike

At 07:55 AM 10/11/99 -0400, Jim Carruthers wrote:
>Michael/Harald:
>
>ShowView is the European name for Gemstar's VCR Plus+ system.
>
>Cheers
>Jim

>> >of
ShowView
>> >timeslot
>> >
>> >Can you forward the syntax of the scheme you refer to?
>>
>> 1*9DIGIT, unfortunately.
>>
>> The ShowView system uses a proprietary algorithm to compress date,
time and
>> channel number into something that's compact enough to be printed
in
>> program listings, and that can be punched with reasonable
reliability on a
>> videorecorder's remote control.
>>
>> They earn royalties from both the VCR recorder people and the
people who
>> use their stuff in program listings, and have NOT made the
algorithm public.

>> Unfortunately.
>>
>>                        Harald
>>
>> --
>> Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
>> Harald.Alvestrand@maxware.no

Michael A. Dolan, Representing DIRECTV,  (619)445-9070
PO Box 1673 Alpine, CA 91903        FAX: (619)445-6122