RE: Where are we?

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand (Harald@Alvestrand.no)
Date: Sat, Oct 09 1999

Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 00:00:29 +0200
To: Dan Zigmond <djz@corp.webtv.net>, "'Scott J. Anderson'" <sjanderson@newshour.org>, www-tv@w3c.org
From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <Harald@Alvestrand.no>
Subject: RE: Where are we?

At 09:31 08.10.99 -0700, Dan Zigmond wrote:
>The goal here is to define a URI scheme for streams of television broadcast
>content (i.e., networks or stations or channels) rather than for individual
>pieces of content (programs).  So there would be a "tv:" URI for PBS
>("tv:pbs.org"), and for local member stations of PBS like WQED
>("tv:wqed.org"), but not for individual pieces of programming that happen to
>air on PBS.  I see the latter as a different problem.  Important, yes, but
>different.

1) I like the proposed scheme of using the DNS namespace.
2) As a TV watcher, when I've identified a channel, the next level of
identification is commonly a timeslot, as is done by the ShowView
bizarre-digit scheme here in Norway, for instance.
I would regard content as being an orthogonal identifier, but timeslot
seems intrinsically channel-bound.

Not that it's simple - see the CALSCH calendar specifications for just how
complex "every thursday at 9 AM, here in Trondheim" can be to specify
exactly - but it's a logical extension to a channel/program stream
identification scheme. (did we ever get down to writing up a glossary for
this stuff??)

Making sure it's possible to extend the scheme in that direction may be the
only thing we should do now.

                         Harald
--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
Harald.Alvestrand@maxware.no