Re: Where are we?

There is another URI mechanism contemplated for pointing at shows and
other resources and events in the receiver.

There is a fatal problem with either of the syntaxes that you propose
below in that the show is then implicitly bound to a particular
service.  This is often not the case in practice, and the show may
air on any of several services.

I'll let Dan answer his intent for tv:, but such use is problematic.

Regards,
	Mike

At 11:59 AM 10/8/99 -0400, Scott J. Anderson wrote:
>Quick question...
>
>A particular show's URL for a network is usually network.com/show.
For example,
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/.
>Would the URI handle show-specific addresses or only domain names?
If I follow
>you correctly, we would have to switch to newshour.pbs.org. That, of
course, is
>not the end of the world. Just curious.
>
>--sja
>
>Dan Zigmond wrote:
>
>> Discussions seem to have stalled again, so I thought maybe I would
make an
>> attempt to summarize where I think we might be now in terms of a
proposal to
>> take back to the IESG/IETF.
>>
>> Several people expressed discomfort with the use of broadcast call
signs of
>> the form KQED.  Although these are world unique and standardized
by the ITU
>> (I think), they appear to be very uncommon outside the United
States.  So I
>> would like to propose that we further limit the "tv:" URI to two
forms:

>>         tv:                     meaning "current channel"
>>         tv:<network>    where <network> is a DNS name
>>
>> So some valid "tv:" URIs would be:
>>
>>         tv:                     [of course]
>>         tv:abc.com              American Broadcasting Company
>>         tv:abc.net.au   Australian Broadcast Corporation
>>         tv:kron.com             KRON in San Francisco
>>         tv:channel4.com Channel 4 in the UK
>>         tv:west.hbo.com HBO West
>>         tv:one.bbc.co.uk        BBC1
>>
>> As I think we've discussed, the rule is that if you own the
domain, you can
>> register names using that domain.  So HBO can register
"west.hbo.com" as
>> their official name for their West Coast feed, and BBC can
register
>> "one.bbc.co.uk" or "1.bbc.co.uk" or whatever they want for BBC1.
>>
>> I think this is a reasonably final proposal.  It basically
collapses all the
>> other forms into the DNS namespace, and moves any dispute over
names to
>> disputes over DNS.  (Of course, DNS disputes aren't easy to
resolve, but at
>> least if we ever get a good mechanism there it will automatically
be applied
>> to "tv:" URIs too.)
>>
>> I'm ready to do another revision to the Internet-Draft based on
this
>> approach, but I thought I'd make another check for comments first.
 Perhaps
>> we can try to have a new draft next week and get it to the IESG.
>>
>>         Dan

>> Dan Zigmond
>> Senior Manager, Broadcast Applications
>> WebTV Networks, Inc.
>> djz@corp.webtv.net

>Scott J. Anderson, technologist
>The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer
>sjanderson@newshour.org
>703.998.2117
>ICQ communications center: http://wwp.icq.com/34675744
>"I sing the body electric" -- Walt Whitman

Michael A. Dolan  TerraByte Technology  (619)445-9070
PO Box 1673 Alpine, CA 91903       FAX: (619)445-6122
URL:http://www.tbt.com