Re: Where are we?

From: Scott J. Anderson (
Date: Fri, Oct 08 1999

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 11:59:45 -0400
From: "Scott J. Anderson" <>
Subject: Re: Where are we?

Quick question...

A particular show's URL for a network is usually For example,
The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer's URL on PBS  is
Would the URI handle show-specific addresses or only domain names? If I follow
you correctly, we would have to switch to That, of course, is
not the end of the world. Just curious.

Dan Zigmond wrote:

> Discussions seem to have stalled again, so I thought maybe I would make an
> attempt to summarize where I think we might be now in terms of a proposal to
> take back to the IESG/IETF.
> Several people expressed discomfort with the use of broadcast call signs of
> the form KQED.  Although these are world unique and standardized by the ITU
> (I think), they appear to be very uncommon outside the United States.  So I
> would like to propose that we further limit the "tv:" URI to two forms:
>         tv:                     meaning "current channel"
>         tv:<network>    where <network> is a DNS name
> So some valid "tv:" URIs would be:
>         tv:                     [of course]
>              American Broadcasting Company
>   Australian Broadcast Corporation
>             KRON in San Francisco
> Channel 4 in the UK
> HBO West
>        BBC1
> As I think we've discussed, the rule is that if you own the domain, you can
> register names using that domain.  So HBO can register "" as
> their official name for their West Coast feed, and BBC can register
> "" or "" or whatever they want for BBC1.
> I think this is a reasonably final proposal.  It basically collapses all the
> other forms into the DNS namespace, and moves any dispute over names to
> disputes over DNS.  (Of course, DNS disputes aren't easy to resolve, but at
> least if we ever get a good mechanism there it will automatically be applied
> to "tv:" URIs too.)
> I'm ready to do another revision to the Internet-Draft based on this
> approach, but I thought I'd make another check for comments first.  Perhaps
> we can try to have a new draft next week and get it to the IESG.
>         Dan
> Dan Zigmond
> Senior Manager, Broadcast Applications
> WebTV Networks, Inc.

Scott J. Anderson, technologist
The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer
ICQ communications center:
"I sing the body electric" -- Walt Whitman