Re: TV Acronyms

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand (Harald@Alvestrand.no)
Date: Tue, Aug 31 1999

Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 00:32:40 +0200
To: "Michael A. Dolan" <miked@tbt.com>, www-tv@w3.org (WWW TV List)
From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <Harald@Alvestrand.no>
Subject: Re: TV Acronyms

At 08:07 31.08.99 -0700, Michael A. Dolan wrote:

>Same instructions as before - comment and add (ones that we're likely
>to use here).
>

>NTSC - National Television System Committee [US analog broadcast
>format]
>
>PAL - Phase Alternate Line [European analog broadcast format]

While we're naming analog broadcast systems:
SECAM - French version of PAL

>ATSC - Advanced Television Systems Committee [both a political body
>and the digital (US and other places) broadcast format]
>
>DVB - Digital Video Broadcast [the digital (European and other
>places) broadcast format]

Do we need to go into MPEG (various layers), HMAC and D2MAC too?
Or the format(s) used by DVD video players? (I hope not...)

>EBU - European Broadcast Union [the European political body]
>
>EPG - Electronic Program Guide

What are the other standards organizations playing in this field?
(is DAVIC active? ITU? ISO?)

Again - I think this is great. Will you put the "stuff-so-far" up on a
Website where we can bookmark it for reference during discussions, or what?

                     Harald
--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
Harald.Alvestrand@maxware.no