RE: Next steps on draft-zigmond-tv-url-02

From: Patrick Schmitz (pschmitz@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue, Aug 31 1999

From: Patrick Schmitz <pschmitz@microsoft.com>
To: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <Harald@Alvestrand.no>, Jack.Lang@ntl.com, Dan Zigmond <djz@corp.webtv.net>, www-tv@w3c.org
Cc: mav@liberate.com, Dean Blackketter <dean@corp.webtv.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 14:03:42 -0700
Subject: RE: Next steps on draft-zigmond-tv-url-02

[snip]

> > >         tv:abc.com      (DNS domain name: American
> Broadcasting Company)
> > >         tv:abc.net.au   (DNS domain name: Australian Broadcast
> >Corporation)
> > >

> >Problem with this is where one organisation (e.g. BBC at
www.bbc.co.uk)
>originates several channels (BBC1 BBC2, BBCChoice, BBCKnowledge,BBCNews24,
>BBCParliament etc).

> tv:bbc1.bbc.co.uk solves this.

A URI is not just a domain name, but can describe hierarchy.

Why not use an approach like:

  tv:bbc.co.uk/bbc1

You can further qualify each channel to distinguish versions of a channel
(wide, regional, etc.)

  tv:bbc.co.uk/bbc1/wide
  tv:bbc.co.uk/bbc1/wales
   etc.

Forgive me examples if "wales" is a poor choice for regional variant. I
trust it conveys the point.

Note also that these are URIs and not URLs.  The path need not have any
real-world or web-based meaning. Naturally, a broadcaster is free to provide
equivalent http-based URLs for informative web pages if they so choose.

Patrick

Patrick Schmitz  (pschmitz@microsoft.com)
Program Manager - Internet Multimedia Standards
Microsoft