Re: Next steps on draft-zigmond-tv-url-02

From: Michael A. Dolan (
Date: Tue, Aug 31 1999

Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 07:25:01 -0700
To: (WWW TV List)
From: "Michael A. Dolan" <>
Subject: Re: Next steps on draft-zigmond-tv-url-02

At 09:08 AM 8/31/99 +0200, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
>An alternative is to publish Craig Finseth's "btv:" and publish the
>scheme as is, but with a label saying "this has been superseded by
btv:, DO

As currently published, these URI's do not do the same thing and are
not very related.  While a desirable administrative solution, it is
not currently technically viable.

But, if the tv: I-D authors are willing to move on the namespace (as
appears to be the case from a recent post), then we should start
there and see where that takes us.  But saying that btv:// can
replace tv: at this point is unfounded technically.  In a nutshell,
tv: identifies channels.  btv: is a generally opaque naming system
that requires tagging (at least without some more detailed usage
convention).  With the recent proposal from Dan, these namespaces
become closer, so lets focus there first.

>>         tv:kqed                 (ITU standard international
>I'd like to lose this too; it's an americanism, and confuses the
issues, I
>think. Is there a station with callsign FIRM?

Huh?  ITU is an international organization.  The above callsign is
globally unique and has nothing to do with the US (except that the
"k" prefix belongs to the US).  Of all the technical issues with tv:,
this is not one.

I can see that this is going to be a long discussion, covering lots
of old ground.  I'll try to post some tutorial information, so we can
help avoid at least some misunderstandings.

Version: PGP for Personal Privacy 5.0
Charset: noconv

Michael A. Dolan, Representing DIRECTV,  (619)445-9070
PO Box 1673 Alpine, CA 91903        FAX: (619)445-6122