Re: draft-zigmond-tv-url-02 discussion on ietf@ietf.org

At 09:15 23.08.99 -0700, Michael A. Dolan wrote:

>At 08:11 AM 8/23/99 +0200, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
> >
> >I'll ask you for only about the 3rd time:
> >
> >   Do you have a mailing list where you are happy to discuss the
>technical
> >   properties of this URI scheme, and how the draft can be modified
>so that
> >   all of us can be less than terribly unhappy with it?
>
>I'm sure I've replied as many times, but for those on www-tv that
>have perhaps not heard it as many times:
>
>     The technical merits of this Informational draft are not
>relevant,
>     and thus do not need to be discussed anywhere, in or out of IETF.
>     This is an Informational track submission and requires no such
>     review per RFC 2026.
>
>The editorial comments *are* relevant, belong on ietf (and probably
>not on www-tv), and are being addressed, hopefully to (almost)
>everyone's satisfaction.

OK, I hear you.
You claim to have a right to publication of an Informational RFC,
even though significant technical objections to its content have been
raised within the IETF community.

You also claim that the technical objections are irrelevant to the
publication of this document.
I disagree; I think they are significant and need to be addressed, and that
the community is better served by delaying RFC publication until they have
been addressed.

There is no "right to publish" for RFCs.
The decision to publish rests, in the case of Informational RFCs, with the
RFC Editor; I've BCCed this message to the RFC Editor to inform them of my
opinion.

I wish we had a better basis for cooperation.

                           Harald A

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
Harald.Alvestrand@maxware.no