Re: draft-zigmond-tv-url-02 discussion on ietf@ietf.org

Larry-

"End run around"?  Why do folks on ietf think this I-D is a
conspiracy of one kind or another?  If we're not trying to evade W3C,
then we must be marketing folks looking for some justification of a
product idea (one person's comment).  Or if not that, then we are an
evil industry group trying to force their will on IETF (paraphrased
several other folks' comments).  I wish I could convince you this
paranoia is unfounded so that we could move past this.

But the real issue here is the review process for Informational
RFC's, for which there seem to be pretty different opinions.  Here's
my view based on IETF publications:

The recent thread, "Tighter admission policy for I-Ds", has been very
interesting.  But Informational submissions are still permitted, and
there are far, far stranger things published by IETF than this I-D.
And, it was very clear that there was no concensus on that thread to
eliminate Informational submissions, or even to significantly alter
their requirements or review process.  And, even if the concensus was
drifting towards such changes, the proposals being made have no place
affecting existing submissions process.

We seem to also keep coming back to the technical merits of the
submission.  RFC 2026, sections 4.2.2 and 4.2.3 describe the process
to be used for Informational submissions.  There does not appear to
be any requirement to obtain technical concensus or approval of the
group, in fact there are clear statements to the contrary.

The review process does *not* require approval or endorsement of
outside organizations (such as W3C, etc).  [But FYI, I have been
working with the WWW-TV chairman on how best to proceed with these
and other TV related publications, particularly ones where there is
existing practice; as well as ones that will welcome future open
technical review.  Some items are likely not appropriate for IETF to
publish.]

IETF has clearly established itself as the home for URI publication,
and has re-confirmed this with the recent I-D proposing new processes
for their submissions.  So, the tv: submission seems completely
appropriate to make to IETF and is not out of scope.

And, this submission, by IETF's own admission, does not fall into an
existing WG.  So, by definition, no end-run is occuring here.

And, this submission does not conflict with any existing RFC or draft
from a WG.

The errors in document format have been acknowledged by the authors,
and they have agreed to address them.

Given the IETF process for Informational RFC's as it appears to me,
and the facts above, I would recommend that the authors simply
resubmit the draft with the documentation changes that were
suggested, and then if those changes meet the requirements of the
documentation standards, then the draft continue on its review
process as provided for in RFC 2026.

If I am mis-reading RFC 2026, then perhaps someone can help me
understand it better.  Or, if there are undocumented processes that
have become common practice here, then perhaps someone could
elaborate on them.  But given the documented review process, I see no
alternative but for the draft to continue its process within IETF and
IESG.

Also, just FYI, as to the published television URI requirements, of
which I have reviewed in detail and in fact added to myself:

	a) It would be impossible to meet all or even most of these with a
single URI scheme, and this I-D scheme in fact meets at least one
requirement; and

	b) The extent to which this scheme meets these requirements is
interesting, but not relevant.  We are trying to publicly document
current practice as an Informational RFC, for better or worse
(including how little of the lengthy requirements, if any at all, are
met).

	Mike

At 08:50 PM 8/21/99 PDT, Larry Masinter wrote:
>There's not been any apparent traffic on this list recently.
However,
>there's quite a flurry of messages  about the 'tv:' URL
>scheme on the ietf@ietf.org mailing list:
>
>http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/maillist.html
>
>The overlap in membership of this list and that one isn't clear;
>is the proposal to publish the 'tv' URL scheme as an RFC
>the result of the discussions of this group or an end-run
>around?
>
>As was pointed out in one message
>(http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/msg05155.html),
>
>the draft,
>
>(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zigmond-tv-url-02.txt)
>doesn't seem to meet the requirements in
>http://www.w3.org/TV/TVWeb/TVWeb-URI-Requirements.html.
>
>There are various other issues as well, but the procedural
>one is probably the lead.
>
>Larry

Michael A. Dolan, Representing DIRECTV,  (619)445-9070
PO Box 1673 Alpine, CA 91903        FAX: (619)445-6122