Re: What "URI" identifier for local TV resources?

From: Craig A. Finseth (fin@finseth.com)
Date: Fri, Mar 26 1999

Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 17:12:12 -0600 (CST)
From: "Craig A. Finseth" <fin@finseth.com>
To: gomer@lgerca.com
Cc: www-tv@w3.org
Subject: Re: What "URI" identifier for local TV resources?

   In my view this is exactly the sort of application for which the "tv:"
   URI scheme is suited. If I understand you correctly, the application is
   running on a web server at the cable head end (or closely associated
   with the cable head end). It knows everything about the channels on the
   receiver where the client is running. Thus, a reference to a channel
   number is unambiguous.

YES, BUT ONLY IF THE BOX HAS NO OTHER INPUTS!

We were not willing to design to this restriction.

Hence, it is not acceptable for a cable system to use "tv:#" and
expect it to be unambiguous.

Craig