Re: Don't put descriptive info in a URI, only identifying info

From: Michael A. Dolan (
Date: Mon, Dec 21 1998

Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 14:15:21 -0800
From: "Michael A. Dolan" <>
Subject: Re: Don't put descriptive info in a URI, only identifying info

At 02:26 PM 12/21/98 -0600, Craig A. Finseth wrote:
>   >I believe that in most, if not all cases, the time dimension will be
>   >specified by identifying the "event" (TV program, in ordinary
>   >terminology), with perhaps in some cases an offset relative to the start
>   >of the event, rather than by explicitly specifying a clock time.
>   This is one way to do it that is more object-oriented and fits the object
>   model much better.  However, there is not agreement on the list that this
>   is the (only) possible or useful solution.  There are other possible URI
>   designs that do not directly reference an EPG object, and thus might need
>   absolute (GMT) time.
>Umm, you just proved the opposite of your point.
>We all agree (I believe) that there is a requirement to designate
>time-related content on a channel

>(e.g., an event).

Not if you literally mean an event in EPG terms.  This implies a solution
limited to existing EPG event data only, which I do not agree with.

>The open question is whether that requirement may _only_ be met
>by putting time-related information in the URI itself.

It is not that simple.  Specifying time (or not) in a scheme is not the
only design criteria.

>You agree that there are valid schemes that meet the requirement
>without such encoding.

Syntactically "valid", yes.  The best design - not necessarily.

>That indicates that the encoding is not itself
>part of the requirement.  (The fact that one can devise schemes that use
>the encoding is not relevant to the question.)

There are always multiple solutions to a problem.  I am not advocating
multiple concurrent schemes to do the same thing, nor am I in any way
advocating that eliminating time encoding is the utmost design goal in
meeting the URI requirements.  There may be other reasons for needing a
time-based approach that outweigh a general desire to avoid it.  In the
end, we must consider all reasonable solutions, of which there will be
compromises, including possibly desires to eliminate time in the URI(s).

Michael A. Dolan, Representing DIRECTV,  (619)445-9070   FAX: (619)445-6122
PO Box 1673 Alpine, CA 91903, Overnight: 20239 Japatul Rd, Alpine, CA 91901