Re: Don't put descriptive info in a URI, only identifying info

I don't mean to argue against time specifiers in URIs.

Perhaps I just misread the sense of "OPTIONAL."
If you mean optional in the syntax (sometimes it appears,
sometimes it doesn't) then I have no problem. But
if it's optional in the sense that even when it
appears, you don't need it
to identify the referent, then I object.

Michael A. Dolan wrote:

>   For example, without time as a
> specifier, how would one uniquely reference a broadcast program that starts
> at 12:00pm, as opposed to one that starts before or after this time on the
> otherwise same stream?  There is no discrete object - just a stream where
> time is a critical identifier component.

If "time is a critical identifier component" then very well,
include it in the URI ala:

Warner writes:

|Do I understand you correctly, that the first example URL
|is wrong and the second example is right ?

No; there's a "right" URI in each case; in the 1st case,
the URI doesn't contain title=ABC; in the 2nd case,
the URI does contain year=1996.

--
Dan Connolly
http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/