Re: looking for tv-related URI use cases/application scenarios

Aninda,

Actually, I think the kinds of specifics about carriage of URIs in VBI lines
or MPEG tables which Tim is providing are exactly the kinds of specifics
which are needed in a use case. The whole point of a use case is to
understand from a user value perspective what the real requirements are
(where the "user" may be a content producer, a broadcaster, a re-broadcaster,
a receiver manufacturer, and/or a consumer). This requires as much specifics
as possible about context.

I think you have a number of good use cases in mind yourself, but I wonder if
you can provide a little more detail, so that we can truly see what the
business/user/technology context is:

(a) Announcement on a Web site of a future TV show -- Is this the Web site of
a local broadcast affiliate directing viewers to its own broadcast? Is this
the Web site of a national or international network directing viewers to any
local broadcast of its network feed? Is this the Web site of the producer of
the TV show directing viewers to any broadcast of its show by any network or
affiliate? Specific examples would be useful. Is this a WBGH Web site? CNN
Web site? Turner news Web site? MGM Web site?
(b) Announcement within EPG data of a future TV show -- Do you mean the
announcement is in the entry in the EIT or in the ETM (in the ETT) for the
future TV show itself? If not, what assumptions are there about co-location
of the event for which the ETM contains the announcement and the event for
the future TV show? Are they in the same virtual channel? in the same
transport stream? no assumptions? Or does the announcement appear in some way
in the VCT (using some possible future descriptor designed to contain such
announcements)?
(c) Association/binding of "channels" -- Where did the references come from?
What was the business motivation of the source?
(d) References to a broadcast "object" from anywhere -- This sounds to me
like it is clumping together a large number of individual use cases into a
single summary case. I fear a lot of useful insight has been lost in the
aggregation.

This may all sound like it is nit-picking, but the point is that without such
detail one can easily interpret each of the cases in many different ways
leading to many different requirements, some much less stringent than
others.

--
Gomer Thomas
LGERCA, Inc.