Re: I-D submission "Requirements on TV Broadcast URIs"

I agree with Craig's point on compatibility. The term "compatible with" is very
ambiguous. Moreover, to my knowledge the only standardization body which has
already adopted a URI scheme is DAVIC. There have been several proposals to
ATSC, but none have gone anywhere.

(At the same time, I believe the scheme which Craig and I have in mind is
"compatible with" the DAVIC scheme in a very useful sense, namely a "tv:" URI
can be translated into a "dvb:" URI in the context of a DVB receiver when
needed.)

A requirement to support relative referencing is basically a requirement to use
the <hier_part> syntax for an absolute URI, as described in section 5 of RFC
2396. This seems to me like a reasonable requirement.

As for the "exception" which refers to the semantics of "host": the use of the
term "host" is probably misleading in the first place. RFC 2396 uses the term
"authority" instead of "host" in the "generic URI" syntax. In the DTV context I
believe it will typically resolve to a transport stream, channel, or event.
Whether one can view it as representing the "source" of a transport stream
depends on what one means by "source". For the purposes of these requirements,
that doesn't seem to me to be important. The key point is that it is not
necessarily an Internet server, and in fact usually is not. Since this
"exceptions" section is presumably not normative in any case, there is not much
point in getting bogged down in fine points here.

I see no reason to include this point.  None of the ATSC, DVB, or

--
Gomer Thomas
LGERCA, Inc.