RE: URI Requirements

Excuse me for jumping in midstream. I hope you all find my comments useful.
I've been lurking for awhile and figured it is time to add a broadcaster's
point of view. I work with convergence projects at MTV Networks. Of course,
opinions expressed are my own and do not represent MTV Networks in way,
shape, form or electron.

Craig is right on the money about the EPG being an unreliable guide. Due to
variations in broadcasting (like the fact that only a few networks actually
start shows exactly on the hour, some slip up to three minutes from the
advertised times), the only way to get the real deal on what is on air is
from the library management system (LMS) used by the broadcaster. EPG's do
take into account slippage, emergency interruptions and other common events.

Using the EPG is equivalent to doing nothing at all.

Of course, the EPG doesn't tell you the one thing everyone will need to
know, which is "When is the commercial break?" The reality of the TV
business world is that some resources we send during content may not be
appropriate for use during commercials, and some commercials may require
their own resources. Therefore, whatever system we use for resource ID must
also consider the commercials as "segments."

What is comes down to is that all broadcasters need a direct an accurate
connection between on-air and the resources being sent. Right now that data
exists at the head-end in real time.

If we really want to solve the problem, we would develop a system that puts
a continuous trigger signal in the video feed so that we can ID at any time
exactly what is on, where we are in it, and so forth.

Without that, the LMS is as good as it gets.

Any thoughts?

Opinions expressed are my own and do not represent MTV Networks in way,
shape, form or electron.

R o b   D a v i s
Executive Producer
of Convergence Applications
M T V   N e t w o r k s
phone: (212) 846-7515 / /  fax: (212) 846-6497