RE: URL: Background and Requirements

While I don't endorse all of the details of their implementation, the
ATVEF folks have developed an "HTTP like" unidirectional protocol which
essentially permits the use of the MIME-like payload and header (as well
as caching) semantics of HTTP.

BTW, your equation of user agent = browser = parser = presentation
engine = viewer = client is incorrect in general. In the context of
IETF, "user agent" is the most common term employed for a protocol
client operated by a human end-user. A protocol client may be found in
robot agents as well as proxy and gateway servers, which would not be
constitute user agents. Furthermore, a user agent may not necessarily
take the form of a viewer: one can have an audio-only user agent that is
a protocol client for audio data. Parsing, formatting, and presenting
are merely sub-functions of a viewer user agent and are separate from
the protocol client itself.