Re[2]: More comments on updated timed-text document

On Monday, 18 March, 2002, 20:01:40, Erik wrote:

EH> At 12:26 03/18/2002 -0500, geoff freed wrote:
>> >Its not clear to me what III.10 would mean in practice.
>> >

>>Erik Hodge originally proposed this.  I think he means that authors should
>>be able to keep users from downloading the text stream, similar to how
>>users can be prevented from downloading .RM files.  How this can be
>>accomplished, I don't know.  Erik?

EH> Some authors want to protect their content from being copied.  We
EH> should consider adding a feature that prevents a viewer from easily
EH> copying TT text from presentations.  You can't use the mouse or
EH> keyboard to select and copy RealText presentations, currently, but you
EH> can use the "view source" feature of the RealPlayer to view/select/copy
EH> all or part of the .rt file if the server is set to provide that.

EH> With TT, we may want to enable the author to describe in the TT file
EH> whether or not the user agent should allow selection+copying of the
EH> presented text at any point in the presentation.

Ah, ok, the 'pulling the wool over the eyes' school of copy
protection. It suffices for impressing clients, but offers no actual
security at all in practice.

There were calls for that sort of thing in SVG, but we declined
because it gives the appearance of solving a problem without actually
doing anything.

In addition, it compromises accessibility to not be able to select text.

Would the text be barred from being indexed, too? Would it not show up
in search engines?