Re: timed-text update and further discussion

Hello Geoff,

Here are requirements for a timed text format from an
internationalization/localization point of view:

- Make sure character encoding issues,... are cleanly solved
   (this is okay if the format is XML-based).
- Address basic bidirectional issues (e.g. use the HTML solution).
- Allow ruby markup (used a lot on Japanese television, in particular
   for children and programs for people with hearing challenges).
   See http://www.w3.org/TR/ruby, probably simple ruby markup could be
   enough.
- Mark up the language of the text (i.e. xml:lang).
- Allow extensibility for similar cases as the three above.

- Allow for parallel languages, in different documents or in the
   same document (e.g. SMIL/SVG <switch>). Allow different languages
   to cut the text differently where necessary (with different timing).
- Allow for mixed-language text and parallel texts in more than one
   different language.

I have copied the I18N IG, maybe they have other ideas.

Regards,    Martin.