From: www-tt-tf-request@w3.org [mailto:www-tt-tf-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of John Glauert
Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2002 10:26 AM
To: www-tt-tf@w3.org
Subject: Deaf Signing and Timed Text

I would like to find out if it is possible for the TTWG to include
support for Deaf and hard of hearing people.

The EU Framework 5 project ViSiCAST has been developing technology
for avatar-based deaf signing. We are developing SiGML (Signing
Gesture Markup Language), an XML language which enables signing to be
expressed using a notation developed from HamNoSys (Hamburg Notation
System) that is used extensively in sign language research. SiGML
will incorporate SMIL modules wherever possible.

ViSiCAST applications include broadcast (closed captioning) and web
content. Our aim is to make SiGML available for adoption by others
but we have so far not made serious contact with the W3C process. The
Timed-Text work seems very appropriate indeed for the broadcasting
applications where we are represented by both the BBC and ITC in the
UK.

As well as support for sign language, we can also consider
applications for lip-readable avatars for the hard of hearing, driven
by text or a phoneme stream. The result can be much more expressive
than a standard talking head because we can include facial and manual
gestures.

This list seems to be rather inactive so perhaps the activity is
elsewhere, or the job is done. I would be grateful for feedback from
list members on whether they think there is scope for including the
sort of support I am proposing.

Best wishes,

John
--
Prof. John Glauert                               Tel: +44 1603 592603
UEA ViSiCAST Project                             Fax: +44 1603 593345