Re: errata for cookie spec

At 9:38 AM +0100 2/7/97, Koen Holtman wrote:

>Servers have no business sharing information without the user's consent, and
>I therefore see not reason why sharing information in a sneaky way should be
>particularly cheap or easy.  If they want to share, let them embed the info
>in a link where the user can see it.

Oh come on -- I thought we had moved beyond that one. That screws up caching,
bookmarking, indexing etc etc.

Saying "Servers have no business sharing information" is too easy --
that forces the granularity pretty arbitrarily onto a domain name.

Excite owns both excite.com and webcrawler.com -- would it be "sneakily
sharing" if I wanted to preserve preferences between these two sites?
If not, then why prevent a way to achieve this cleanly? If it is, then
why doesn't the same argument hold for different server under the same
domain, or even for different cgi-bin scripts on a server?

Just my $.02

-- Martijn

Email: m.koster@webcrawler.com
WWW: http://info.webcrawler.com/mak/mak.html