New Project Needs Volunteers

FOR IMMEDIATE DISTRIBUTION!

DAVE ULMER HAS RELEASED HIS LANGUAGE(ISSU) PROJECT TO THE
PUBLIC DOMAIN WITH IMMEDIATE OPENINGS FOR ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND
TELECOMMUTING NETWORKER JOBS! SEE TEXT FOR DETAILS.

ISSUPRO1.TXT 2/3/97 17K By David J. Ulmer (not copyrighted)

JOIN THE GREATEST INTERNET PROJECT OF OUR TIME!

HERE IS YOUR CHANCE TO GET IN ON THE GROUND FLOOR OF A TOTALLY
NEW NETWORK TECHNOLOGY THAT WILL REVOLUTIONIZE THE WAY WE WORK.

Have you noticed that we now have this large internet information
super highway yet very few of us can get to work on it? It should
be obvious that without a purely information based business
entity we are never going to make much use of our information
highway.

I have developed the concept for a new computer network business
server that is truly revolutionary. I call this network system
Language(ISSU), pronounced "Language of Issue" where ISSU stands
for Intelligent_System_Specification_Unit. Now please don't
immediately stop reading just because of the arrangement of words
in the previous sentence, please bear with me and you will under-
stand.

First I must explain what I mean by the term Intelligent_System.
I don't mean artificial intelligence or computer intelligence,
what I'm talking is about plain old human intelligence and noth-
ing more. Intelligent systems are things that intelligent humans
create all the time but rarely realize it.  Lets look at
Garbage_Removal as an example:

You get up in the morning and smell a foul odor in the kitchen,
you look under the sink and find the garbage can full of smelly
old food. You take the can outside and empty it into your street
size container and return to the house. You now have completed
part of the operation of an intelligent system we can call
Garbage_Removal. This is a simple system that most people operate
almost daily without giving it much thought, you just do what has
to be done. But now lets take a closer look at the intelligent
system we call Garbage_Removal.

Wednesday before 9 AM we must take the big garbage container out
to the street so it can be picked up, this requires you to keep
track of the day and time so that the can will be picked up.
After 9 AM on Wednesday the intelligent system Garbage_Removal
gets a lot more complicated because more intelligent humans
become involved in the operation of  the System(Garbage_Removal).
A large complicated truck ambles down the road stopping at each
house and picking up the garbage. Now you may ask, why does that
truck come down the road and pick up the garbage? What motivates
the driver to do such a thing? Who owns the truck? Who built it?
Who designed it? Where does it go? Why did they just drive by and
not pick up my garbage?

Well guess what, System(Garbage_Removal) central computer detected
that you did not pay your bill last month and therefore notified
the truck driver not to pick up your garbage... Now
System(Garbage_Removal) will require some of your intelligence to
solve the problem. First you must bring back the full garbage
container from the street so that your neighbors don't laugh at
you for not paying your bill. Then you may need to buy an addi-
tional garbage can to hold the additional trash until next week.
Of course you will need to get your bill paid real fast so that
service will resume next week. To pay the bill quickly you need
additional information, you call the garbage service company and
ask the customer service person how you can quickly get your
service resumed. As you can see the simple intelligent system of
Garbage_Removal can sure get complicated. In fact many intelli-
gent systems that humans have developed are not really that
simple when looked at in detail.

Currently information on how your System(Garbage_Removal) oper-
ates is stored in the minds of hundreds of people. Just think of
your garbage removal company, they may have twenty trucks and
fifty employees all involved full time in the operation of your
System(Garbage_Removal). Proven techniques of successful garbage
removal have been developed by trail and error over the past
hundred years and these lessons have been passed down to and
stored in the minds of the employees  of the collection compa-
nies. Today with the advent of recycling, complex procedures are
printed and distributed to the homeowners to enable the system to
operate properly. I hope now you can appreciate the complexity
some of our intelligent systems have arisen to.

Today, people on computer networks have no organized way of
capturing, storing, and sharing the detailed information neces-
sary to operate even a simple intelligent system like
Garbage_Removal. Just think of how hard it would be to transfer
knowledge of our system of garbage removal to the people of
China, or how hard it would be for us to learn their system. Here
is where the development of the Language(ISSU) comes in.

In studying how to capture the detailed information necessary to
fully describe an intelligent system I found that all intelligent
systems can be described by a simple overall structure that
people can memorize and learn to work with.  Basically there are
ten chapters to a database describing the:

Intelligent_System_Specification_Unit (ISSU):

1. NAME-------------- The name (ISSU) and all about the name

2. AUTHORS----------- Who is employed by the ISSU or business

3. PURPOSE----------- Detailed description of business purpose

4. ENVIRONMENT------- External factors that influence the system

5. LANGUAGE---------- Specialized language used in the business

6. OPERATION--------- Procedures used to operate the business

7. IMPLEMENTATION---- Detailed drawings and specifications

8. OWNERS------------ Specification of ownership of business

9. MARKET------------ Customer profiles, advertising, marketing

10.VALUE------------- Current financial status

Now wouldn't it be nice if every business and other human endeav-
or had a little ten chapter book that completely described that
activity in detail? Anyone could understand the business by just
reading the book. Well this won't happen because intelligent sys-
tems don't lend themselves to being described in a static written
language.

Historically humans have recorded their knowledge in books, but
books do not store intelligence. It takes the intelligence of a
human to learn to use the knowledge that is stored in books. In
schools there is always an intelligent "teacher" that transfers
the static knowledge in books to the students dynamic mind in an
intelligent manner.

Here in the 20th century we humans have discovered the computer
and the computer in some respects can store intelligence, or at
the very least "artificial intelligence". Artificial intelligence
is simply the appearance of intelligence but I question whether
it is real intelligence. Intelligent humans can program computers
to perform tasks that appear intelligent to other humans some of
the time. After a while and as times change this computer stored
intelligence looses its spark and can become laughingly un-
intelligent! Why does the passing of time change our perception
of intelligent behavior?

Now in the 1990's we humans have developed a system that goes far
beyond the computer in its ability to store intelligence, and
that system is the Internet. The Internet is much more that just
a bunch of interconnected computers, it is a bunch of intercon-
nected intelligent humans! The intelligence that can be stored
using the internet is actually that intelligence stored in the
minds of the humans that connect to the internet. The problem
with the current internet design is that we have no means to
coordinate and exploit this interconnected intelligence.

The Language(ISSU) is a software system designed to interconnect
the intelligence of many humans and direct that intelligence
toward solving real life human problems in business, government,
education or whatever. In fact your community could have a
Garbage_Collection_ISSU that intelligent humans sign on to work for.
A person could sign on as an intelligent truck driver and get all
their instruction, duty assignments, and pay from the networked
ISSU.

The Language(ISSU) provides jobs for computer interconnected
intelligent humans! Language(ISSU) is a functional replacement
for the corporate office environment. With the Language(ISSU),
all human endeavors can be translated into an ISSU. Once trans-
lated these ISSU's can operate autonomously as independent intel-
ligent entities creating wealth and solving problems for the
human race. With the Language(ISSU) human civilization will take
a giant step forward that will be viewed historically as signifi-
cant as the development of writing itself!

As previously mentioned an ISSU is database divided into ten
easily remembered chapters. Within these chapters is contained
all the information necessary to completely describe the enter-
prise on which the ISSU is focused. When you access the database
over the internet you navigate throughout the enterprise by
keeping in mind the ten chapters and how they relate to each
other. The user interface for the Language(ISSU) can be quite
simple and easily understandable by all citizens. Keeping a
consistent user interface for intelligent systems will make them
easy to work for and do business with.

So what we have with the Language(ISSU) is a computer automated
networked database that functions as an automatically managed
employer of intelligent humans to perform intelligent tasks.
These intelligent tasks can be anything from space travel to
garbage removal. The intelligent humans get paid when they con-
tribute to the development and operation of an ISSU much as you
would when you work for any business. Investors invest in ISSU's,
customers pay for the services of an ISSU, and employees work for
and get paid by the ISSU. In the future when thousands of ISSU's
all around the world are competing for intelligent resources
(employees) we humans will have the freedom to work for any one
or many different enterprises. Life will be more interesting, we
will get paid more, we can work from home if we want, and have
many other benefits too.

Now we have covered what intelligent systems are, how they can be
structured into a simple ten chapter database, and what can be
done with these databases. In order to keep this document as
short as possible, I will now address the more complicated issues
that relate to the operation and development of the
Language(ISSU).

You may have noticed that I have yet to explain the use of the
word "language" in Language(ISSU). Language(ISSU) is much more
than just a ten chapter automated structured networked database,
it is also an automated structured networked human language.
Language(ISSU) machines operate on a strict subset of natural
human language. A dictionary of this language is stored in the
core document(ISSU.ISSU) and sets a language standard on which
all ISSU's operate. This basic language can then be translated
into any other human language around the world so that people
from all over the world can work on the same ISSU using their
native language. What makes this language understandable to all
ISSU users is that the language is strictly computer automated in
such a way that human miss-communication is prevented. How this
is actually done is quite complicated but for the purposes of
this document it should be enough to say that the core language
is HUMU:=human_understandable.and.machine_understandable. The
Language(ISSU) is a database system which to some degree can
understand the language and content of the database, an do it in
a way that expands and improves on human communication.

Looking at Language(ISSU) from some different perspectives we
might view it as an automated information infrastructure for
information age business and commerce. You could say that it is a
standardized corporate database system. Sometimes I think of it
as an operating system for human networks. Language(ISSU) is a
telecommuters dream machine, a full service corporate entity that
exists entirely in cyberspace. To the businessman its an automated
fill-in-the-blanks way to start your own business. On the web
is looks like the ultimate automated web site that serves all
languages, and like corporations, creates and maintains itself
automatically and sends money its owners. To corporations the
Language(ISSU) is a slick full featured project management system
that allows all projects to be run under a standard management
philosophy that strictly adheres to the overall corporate philos-
ophy. For individuals its just where you drive to work on the
information highway.

Fifty years ago if you were to say "word processor" people would
think you were crazy, fifty years from now "ISSU machine" may be
just as common a term. If corporations and other human enter-
prises are all viewed as "intelligent systems" then automated
intelligent systems will fit right in. The line between human
intelligence and machine intelligence will become more and more
gray as we learn to store our intelligence in these machines.
With the Language(ISSU) humans can comfort themselves in the
knowledge that in spite of all their internal complexity these
ISSU's are still only ten chapters long and always show a user
friendly interface.

CURRENT STATE OF DEVELOPMENT OF LANGUAGE(ISSU) FEBRUARY 1997

With the release of this document, and with many more to follow
the concept of Language(ISSU) is being released to the public
domain. Much like a computer programming language it is best not
to keep the technology proprietary. The name Language(ISSU) is
also being put into the public domain. It should not be trade-
marked. Internal operations of specific implementations may be
patented but I recommend against it. The Language(ISSU) is a tool
that we all need to better work together on the internet. It will
not be productive to have elements of this tool tied up in courts
as corporations squabble over who owns what. Its important that
we get a good generic system up and running.

The Language(ISSU) is a big project, it could easily take a
billion dollars of effort to develop but when completed be no
harder to use than the average PC email system. To get this
project going I am now accepting donations of money, human re-
sources, corporate sponsorships, and university research to make
Language(ISSU) happen as quickly as possible.

I encourage enlightened corporations all over the world to devel-
op their own versions of Language(ISSU) and let the spirit of
healthy competition bring about the best possible system. Many
new software and database technologies must be developed before a
fully operational ISSU machine can be realized. These technolo-
gies will be valuable many other areas too.

For people to work together to build a system like Language(ISSU)
so that we can really commute to work via the internet will be a
major undertaking. Language(ISSU) is not easy, like the inter-
state highway system, or the landing on the moon, it will take
millions of man-hours to complete. I for one am fully confident
that a system like this is very realizable and will do what I can
to convince others and make this project a success.

If you can contribute funds or intelligence to this project
please send a list of your resources, capabilities, interests,
and availability to one of the following addresses:

Language(ISSU)
P.O. Box 771
Beavercreek, OR
97004

EMAIL: Language.issu@usa.net

VOICE: (503) 631-3374

If you can contribute funds, make checks payable to:

Language(ISSU)Project

Be aware that the above addresses are a low bandwidth slow node
so be patient in waiting for a reply.

Project reports will be sent to all contributors via a wide band
node so that they may follow the progress of the project. Volun-
teer contributors will receive work assignments via mail, email,
or voice much in the same way as an actual ISSU would make work
assignments to its intelligent resources. When sufficient funds
become available workers will be paid for their contributions.

SO HERE'S YOUR CHANCE TO BLAZE A NEW TRAIL ACROSS THE VAST
WASTELAND OF THE INTERNET AND CREATE THE SPARKLING NEW INFORMA-
TION STRUCTURES OF THE FUTURE. DELETE ALL YOUR GAMES, NOVELTY
WEB PAGES AND THE LIKE AND GET YOUR KEYBOARD DIRTY DEVELOPING
LANGUAGE(ISSU)!

Sincerely,

Dave Ulmer

daveulmer@sprintmail.com