Re: Call for Closure - HTTP response version

On Wed, 1 Jan 1997, Koen Holtman wrote:

> >Another choice is to stop overloading a single value for two
> >purposes ...
> >  1.  Declaring the servers capabilities
> >  2.  Labeling the level of the response
>
> I see no such overloading in the HTTP/1.1 spec.  The spec is clear on
> the fact that the minor version number in the response does 1 (but
> only for this particular request!), not 2.

I guess it's not clear... because I thought it did 2, not 1. I guess
the choices are vauge to begin with. I interpret "servers
capabilities" to mean "this server supports HTTP/1.0 or HTTP/1.1 or
whatever", and "level of the response" to mean "this response is
compliant with HTTP/1.0 or HTTP/1.1 or whatever". And it's very clear
from the spec that the latter is true - otherwise you wouldn't have
all that stuff about persistent connections and such with HTTP/1.1
labels.

OTOH, I can see how choices 1 and 2 could be interpreted directly
opposite of what I just said.