FW: Mirror Negotiation

Peter Wrote:
"Isn't mirroring just a special case of caching?"

	No, two major differences I can think of (between mirroring and proxy caching.)

1) Mirrors do not have to worry about keeping data current.

	Assuming that updates are sent from the primary site, there no need to querry the primary site to determine if data has expired.  Given that most web transactions involve small files, the cost of opening a TCP connection and finding out if data is still current is not trivial.

2) It gives content providers another tool for improving performance to their site(s).

	I think that installing more T lines can only do so much.

	Brian Morin