Re: Error in RFC 1808?

RFC 1808 is a Proposed Standard. We proposed that ~ not be used in
URLs because its transmission in some systems was unreliable.

Clearly, the community has ignored this proposal, and gone ahead and
used ~ with impunity. I think this means that when 1808 gets revised
when we create a Draft Standard, we should put ~ back in.

People get confused by IETF phased standard process:

 proposed standard
 implementations
 draft standards
 widespread implementation
 standard

especially with respect to the web since 'widespread implementation'
seems to have happened sooner than 'draft standard', but still.

I'm somewhat to blame for the delay in revising 1808 because I
promised at one point I would work on a revision merging 1738 and 1808
but I haven't, and 1738's near the limit for progressing to the next
stage.

Are there any volunteers to help with drafting a revision?

Thanks,

Larry