Re: Any interest in automatic link-updating?

In message <199607172326.QAA29327@web1.calweb.com>, "Lee Daniel Crocker" writes
:,
>That's great for meta-data, and I hope it becomes popular, but
>updating URLs isn't really a meta-data issue.  It's more like
>a link-relationship issue, I think.  I'd like to see indexers
>like Yahoo understand <link rev=supersedes href=...> to update
>their links automatically, as well as others.

Good idea. This sort of thing was discussed at a recent W3C
workshop. See:

http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Search/9605-Indexing-Workshop/

and in particular:

http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Search/9605-Indexing-Workshop/ReportOutcomes/index.html

>As for how to get webmasters to follow a convention (no small
>problem), I think right now that a few commercial folks like
>Yahoo and AltaVista have 10x more power than W3C does to make
>that happen.  If Yahoo used this one feature to keep its
>links up to date, I think everyone would follow.

That's why we got the search vendors in the room to hash this
stuff out!

Dan