Re: Converter

At 19:42 96/07/01, Anders Gunnare wrote:
>Does anyone know a USERFRIENDLY converter from Microsoft Word to HTML
>or rtf to HTML, it would be good if it could handle tables and other
>sofisticated things in MS-Word ?

The various rtf2html programs don't seem to do tables.  On the other hand
there are plenty of programs (certainly for the Mac) which will convert tab
delimited files to tables of Excel to tables.

On the other hand taking and Word table and converting it to  tab delimited
text can be used with global changed. For instance -

Change  \p to \p<TR>
        \t to <TD>

gets you most of the way there.

Also if you put the table into a spread sheet some thing like (assuming
data in columns A B and C) CONCAT("<TR>",'A1',"<TD>",'B1',"<TD>",'C') in
column D will work pretty well.  Copy it back as text.

Both need you to put a <TABLE></TABLE> pair round them and tweak for
headers, alignment and borders.

Getting back to the original question I think the problem is assuming that
there is anything user friendly about Microsoft Word.  In Release 6 its too
slow, too complex and insecure as well.  Now Claris Office is much better -
but then it doesn support tables either other than through the expedients
above although you can put them in a Macro.

Tony

Email          : Tony.Barry@library.anu.edu.au
Vision & voice : CUSeeMe to ningaui.anu.edu.au
Voice          : +61 6 249 4632         Fax: +61 6 279 8120
Details        : http://snazzy.anu.edu.au/People/TonyB.html

Center for Networked Access to Scholarly Information,
Australian National University Library, A.C.T. 0200, AUSTRALIA.