Re: Java and HTML and well known socket numbers

>I talked to some of the Sun reps and presented the idea of getting a well
>known port for Java servers, like we have httpd on port 80, telnet on 23,
>etc, so that servers optimized to serve Java applets can be run in parrellel
>to an httpd or stand alone for the anticipated distributed Java network
>environment.

What does it mean to be "optimized to serve Java applets"?
I can see an advantage in having a lean server which does nothing but
serve GET requests for java applets. It skips all the extra baggage
(in this case) that an httpd would have to go through, when we'd already
know the answers to most of its questions.

But are you thinking about some other type of negotiation that
might go on, which http servers don't or can't do? even server APIs?

What about a java ORB?

>I see an advantage in this for us as web users/authors in that a new URL
>type, such us java://, could be used to specify the location for Java source.
>This would keep the higher load of handling applets off of the httpd.
>This could be done now with the messier method of running a second httpd on
>a different port and hardcoding the port number in the URL, but I don't
>see that as very atttractive - and it doesn't address future needs well.

future needs - such as? applet verification? encryption?

>I'm basically looking for any discussion on the merit of the idea, which
>admittedly came to me during one of the panels when I saw potential overload
>and resource conflict when use increases.

Question- is it possible for a java applet to begin execution during
download? That's a browser issue though.

holtrf@destinyusa.com   .........      http://www.destinyusa.com/russ/