Re: Improve the traffic condition on the Internet

Gao Hong <gh@748pku.pku.edu.cn>
> I mean we define a compress standard using on the internet.

ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-deutsch-deflate-spec-02.txt
contains that.  From the draft announcement:

       Title     : DEFLATE Compressed Data Format Specification version 1.3
       Author(s) : L. P. Deutsch
       Filename  : draft-deutsch-deflate-spec-02.txt, .ps
       Pages     : 16
       Date      : 03/14/1996

This specification defines a lossless compressed data format that
compresses data using a combination of the LZ77 algorithm and Huffman
coding, with efficiency comparable to the best currently available
general-purpose compression methods.  The data can be produced or consumed,
even for an arbitrarily long sequentially presented input data stream,
using only an a priori bounded amount of intermediate storage.  The format
can be implemented readily in a manner not covered by patents.

(Me again) It'll be good to have a well-defined, good, compression
standard, but I agree with Benjamin Franz that for the web, effective
caching holds much more promise.

--Arnt